WCF Business Plan 2020-2023
This plan is intended to cover the next four years. An annual report will be provided towards the end of each
year which will consider both performance to date, any changes required and priorities for the forthcoming year.
The WCF is a soundly financed organisation with total funds of £130,000 but it lacks significant volunteer
resource. It is mainly reliant on the nine members of the WCF Management Committee with the assistance of
a few individuals such as the Ranking Officers.
The recent Membership Survey provided overwhelming feedback from Members supporting the re-establishing
of a Development Committee and work is already under way to get this committee up and running. Given that
it will include non-MC members, it will allow additional volunteers to be added at the heart of the WCF and also
encourage further individuals to undertake projects which support the WCF and the sport in general.
The Development Committee will be responsible for driving many of the activities identified within this Plan.
Further interested individuals are sought to join it or to participate in specific projects that it launches. Anyone
who believes that they have something to offer are encouraged to contact the WCF MC.
Even with a Development Committee in place, it is foreseeable that significant matters may arise in the future
that are beyond even the expanded volunteer resources of the WCF. Some such matters may be best addressed
by the larger WCF Members and, in such cases, the WCF will consider making financial resources available where
this is appropriate. Other matters may have to remain unaddressed although, if individuals are interested in
pursuing a particular project of clear benefit to the WCF and croquet in general, the WCF will support such efforts
and also consider making financial resources available.
In general, there would seem to be a movement towards global co-operation and support for the idea that
matters best addressed at a worldwide level should be dealt with in this way to avoid the need for each Member
to have to invent the same wheel. It should be the role of the WCF to encourage and facilitate such co-operation,
although there may be a need for the much of the volunteer effort to be provided by the Members themselves.
Beginning work in these areas are the priority tasks for 2020
Organisation – (Responsibility of WCF Management Committee)
To provide an effective infrastructure to manage the sport globally.
– To improve communication with Members by the MC and between Members in the WCF Council.
– To increase the number of areas co-ordinated on a global basis and effectively manage and facilitate them.
– To increase the number of individuals directly assisting with the meeting of WCF objectives
World Championships – (Responsibility of WCF Management Committee)
– To continue to organise successful World Championships which are well supported by the top players.
– To monitor the World Championship portfolio of singles and team events ensure it continues to meet the needs
of its various stakeholders (players, Members and host clubs).
– To improve the support given to Event Hosts by the WCF
Members – (Responsibility of WCF Development Committee)
– To increase the number of RCOs
– To facilitate the upward progression of RCOs to Associate Membership and Associate Members to Full
– To increase the membership strength of the WCF on all continents
– To specifically encourage the further development and growth of croquet in continental Europe.
– To establish a new group (very probably a new sub-committee in due course) to directly address this area
including matters such as:-
– The Image of croquet and its marketing
– Live-streaming of events
– Getting croquet on TV
– Social Media Presence
– WCF website content
– Attracting Sponsorship/Advertising
– World Croquet Day
The Sport (Various Responsibilities)
– To increase the number of referees and coaches, particularly amongst smaller Members (DC).
– To provide video resources for referee and coach training (DC with ACLC/GCRC).
– To facilitate and standardise the use of video refereeing (MC with ACLC/GCRC).
– To administer and improve the AC Laws and GC Rules (ACLC/GCRC).
– To consider AC super-advanced laws in a global context (MC).
– To continue to maintain World Ranking Systems (MC).
– To consider global handicapping systems for both AC and/or GC (MC).
– To assist Members to increase the number of young people playing the sport (DC).
– To assist Members to increase the number of players playing the sport and particularly AC at this time, given
its current decline (DC).
– To ensure that essential equipment remains available and affordable (MC).
Longer Term Objectives
The inclusion of croquet as part of larger multi-sport events such as the World Games, Commonwealth Games
or Olympic games was a popular response to our survey question of what the WCF can best do for the sport
globally. However, the MC do not regard these areas as within our reach in the short or medium term. In order
to be able to achieve a place in such events we need to increase our Membership base and the profile of the
sport significantly from current levels. These ambitions are included in the key objectives and it is here that the
focus must lie in the first instance if long-term progress is to be made in this area.